Author Topic: Forum closing down shock  (Read 1188 times)

Offline His Lordship

• Administrator
  • God
  • Steve Bott
    • View Profile
Forum closing down shock
« on: March 05, 2017, 09:45:30 AM »
No need to panic, yet. Just wanting to let people know what next January I will be stopping with this forum. I paid for the year's webhosting in January but won't renew next time around. So why you might ask?

Around 14 years ago I started running a website just for my son's team, he was a junior at Dinnington, and a few years later started a website for the whole club. In total 5 different website designs all done using help files as my background is not in the field of web design, or any media function at all. In 2008 I started a forum for Rotherham Titans, then one for Yorkshire Rugby in 2010 which became really successful and helped raise a lot of money as we arranged charity games hosted by our great friends at Scarborough.

Last summer I also added one for Nottingham Rugby Club when their official one was taken away. These are all hosted on my webhosting package, as is a small website for a friend's apartment in Spain, and the email for a small local company. As well as funding the webhosting package, there's also the yearly cost of all the domain names. I've just added it up and it has cost me just over £1,200 in total during that period; which I don't regret as it gave me lots of enjoyment and when you spread that cost over the time period it was well worth it.

However, I don't use the forums much these days, I rarely visit my local club Dinnington so have little interest in the local game anymore, and looking at the stats on the forums it had dropped year on year. Social media has taken away a lot of the interest I would guess; as has the forum access issues over the last year or so which will only be fully resolved if I paid for the next package up which is around 4x the price.

A few people over the years have mentioned putting adverts on the forums to cover the costs, but that's not something I like to see and my principles would not allow me to do it for 'my own', and as there are various media outlets hosted (as mentioned above) it's not simply a case of users clubbing together to pay for it as they would be funding for example, a forum that they have no interest in.

So, plenty of warning for those who do still use the forum, and the opportunity for someone out there to take up the challenge maybe?

Offline Spindoctor

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Forum closing down shock
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 02:09:45 PM »
It will be a very sad day indeed Mr Lordship when you do finally let it go  :(

Seriously though Steve I would like to be the first to thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving us all (not just Roth Supporters) the opportunity to share our views on the Great game.

Offline His Lordship

• Administrator
  • God
  • Steve Bott
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 02:13:14 PM »
Many thanks folks, of course the photos will still appear via Twitter/FB  :)

Offline His Lordship

• Administrator
  • God
  • Steve Bott
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 06:47:41 PM »
All, quick reminder that this will shut down before the end of the year.

Offline winger14

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 07:03:15 PM »
 :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'(

Offline Steely Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 09:25:12 PM »
I may not fully understand the issues and be over simplifying things, but can't we get funding from somewhere or charge a yearly subscription to use the forum?

Offline paul rogan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 08:21:00 AM »
Will we get any warning of impending closure or will it just stop working one day??

Offline Duncang

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 09:16:17 AM »
Just a suggestion be we could all move to a 'free' forum like this:

https://titanschat.createaforum.com/general-discussion/

We'd have to put up with adverts but it would be away for us to continue to have somewhere to chat.

What do people think?

Offline JOHN SHAW

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 10:02:18 AM »
Forum will be a huge loss.

Offline His Lordship

• Administrator
  • God
  • Steve Bott
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 05:38:11 PM »
Just a suggestion be we could all move to a 'free' forum like this:

https://titanschat.createaforum.com/general-discussion/

We'd have to put up with adverts but it would be away for us to continue to have somewhere to chat.

What do people think?

Great idea, someone would need to run it of course. I have never liked adverts so have always paid for hosting and all domain names for forums and websites that I have done, but many people don't mind. I just don't use the forums enough anymore to justify the outlay, or even the desire to do any administration. If I'm being honest, the lack of regular games over the last few years for the Titans plus my current employment situation resulting in me not attending regularly this season has seen my interest in rugby wane somewhat.

The Yorkshire Rugby forum will continue as one of the main users of that forum has offered to fund it, I have given a couple of regular users admin rights as again I rarely even look at it.

Offline Duncang

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 07:40:13 AM »
Well I've set that forum up, with user unfriendly URL and adverts, but I'm quite happy running it if people want to use it?

Offline jim garbutt

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 09:32:05 PM »
Thanks for all you have done for the board Steve. Superb. I agree about the lack of games issue - RFU need to sort out the structure of this league.

Offline His Lordship

• Administrator
  • God
  • Steve Bott
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 08:31:08 AM »
Hi all, I would suggest getting signed up to the new forum as I will be closing this one down at the end of November. Sad days, but not that sad thanks to Duncan  :)

Offline setter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 10:19:56 AM »
Thanks again, Steve, for all your work.

How do I get on the new forum, please?

Offline Duncang

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 03:52:08 PM »