Author Topic: Tomorrow’s Game  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Rugbyman

• View Profile
Re: Tomorrow’s Game
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 08:21:26 PM »
The last time Andy coached at a competive/full time professional level was over 6 years ago!

We once again were out thought.. Our next three competive games are Ealing, Bristol and Jersey!!!

Hopefully the players and management (fingers crossed) can regroup and learn from the previous 6 losses and over 240 points and 32 try's conceded (5.3 try's a game) and let's not forget we haven't played any of the big boys yet.

Offline winger14

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 08:25:42 PM »
I watched the game live, on the Championship Channel, so my view of the game was through camera lenses.
Its often better to watch a game on TV.  You get to watch replays and pick up on things you wouldn't see if stood/sat in one place in the ground.
I thought the lads played well today and put in lots of effort.  We spilled the ball too many times when the forwards were driving forward, therefore losing momentum, and then position.
At one point in the first half, the pack was driving the ball forwards, they were 2/3 yards from the Bedford line and still moving forwards, when the ball was suddenly released to the backs --- WHY.  A Try was on, an opportunity lost.
One, to me, daft decision cost us a possible 7 pts. We have some good running backs who need the ball coming to them quicker. We were winning our Line-Outs and set scrums, so why didn't  the backs line up deep, this would give the Winger the ball when running at speed.  Running a flatter line gives the opposition a chance of getting upto the outside centre and winger at the same time as the ball.
We are not as bad a team as 6 defeats suggest.  It's small percentages, that if executed better, and faster, would make us a far more competitive team.
I still say, finances allowing, it would be good to bring in 2/3 older heads to steady the team.

All the above is of course my opinion, which may differ from yours.

Offline jim garbutt

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 09:43:38 PM »
I agree but my worry for this season now is that time seems to be passing very quickly. I think we need to beat Jersey and Scottish out of the next 5. We don't want to start the second half 3 wins behind, otherwise we may need at least 6 wins out of the last 11 to be secure. that could be a tall order.

Offline Squadron Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 01:18:02 PM »
I watched the game as Winger did on Live Feed - you do get a better perspective than watching in a crowd. To be fair I thought we weren't that far off the mark - and with a bit more strategic thinking the score could have been closer. Yes the lads need to be quicker and harder with tackling but I felt the biggest weakness was in the game plan.

I hate to say this but I fear our coaching isn't as good as it could be. I think the current coaching set up needs an injection of fresh thinking.

Offline jim garbutt

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 04:42:13 PM »
Looking at the league - we need some points soon as we are already 2 games adrift of second from the bottom Scottish. Makes that a must win game otherwise we will be needing to win 3 more games than them in the second half. Need to be a couple of points away at the most. if we are chasing a 12 to 15 point gap that will be a really tough call. Wonder what we are going to do different over the next 5 games up to half way. Hope we protect players in the silly B and I and inject players or tactics in between B and I and next championship game.

Offline JOHN SHAW

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2017, 06:30:43 PM »
Or look at a few trialists and try to unearth some Bester like gems

Offline winger14

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 09:24:56 PM »
Yes,  has big as the Koh-I-Noor and the Cullinan.

Offline JOHN SHAW

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 12:25:25 PM »
I think Rugbyman has a point re Andy been away from coaching for 6 years.
He’d probably be the first to admit we’ve had a shocking start.
I’ve no doubt though he’s a switched on coach so I just hope and pray something clicks soon for the benefit of all the Rotherham family.

Offline supporter

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 08:03:25 PM »
So do I as I suspect if we go down we’ll never get back up again.

Offline Chris.Garbutt

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 08:06:20 PM »
I think a lot of it comes down to the fact a large majority of these players have not played competitively week in week out at this level. They have the attributes to succeed pace, power, speed etc but they are not used to the physicality and pace of the championship. Things you can get away with in the lower leagues will be punished in the Championship. We need a couple of experienced heads to settle the ship and give a bit of direction to our younger lads. Hopefully this is addressed.

I think Andy is a good coach, good values, great rugby brain and at the end of the day he is only working with what he has in front of him. He has relocated his family etc. I rate what Nic Rouse has done with the forwards in the set piece. I remember loosing 8 lineouts at Donny, now the lineout rolling maul is arguably our greatest attacking asset. If Mike Umaga is to return then I'm sure we will see a massive improvement in defensive areas! He was never one to dip out of a tackle! If we can tighten up the defence then I see us winning games!

Just got to keep hoping!

Even though the competition is irrelevant i hope we get a confidence boosting win this week.

Offline JOHN SHAW

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 08:51:39 PM »
Very good points Chris and I totally agree.

Offline jim garbutt

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 10:20:06 PM »
That Chris has an excellent rugby brain and great insight.

Offline Duncang

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2017, 09:54:09 AM »
Wonder where he gets it from Jim?   ;D

Offline Rugbyman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2017, 01:07:31 PM »
Personally I agree with JS's point,

"Or look at a few trialists and try to unearth some Bester like gems"

We are so proud of our reputation of unearthing talent from lower leagues and we are the envy of a lot of our neighbouring Championship clubs because of this process.

Now all of a sudden we need a couple of experienced heads to settle the ship.. Toby Williams, Tom Williams, Joe Barker, Luke Cole, Charlie Maddison, Tom Calladine, Matt Shields, Byron Hodge, Ifereimi Boladau, Rhodri Davies, Lee Miller, Drew Cheshire, Luke Peters, Will Thomas, Caolan Ryan to name but a few are players with Proven Championship, Premiership and Regional experience.

We need some one very quickly who has worked in the professional game recently who has the ability and is able to gel our less experienced players and our "EXPERIENCED" players together.

"at the end of the day he is only working with what he has in front of him" Totally agree with you Chris and lets not forget it's the squad Andy recruited/choose to work with.

Offline jim garbutt

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 05:51:10 PM »
No idea Duncan's - Chris keeps me informed.

Whatever is said regarding the team I will settle for 2 wins from the next 5 and strategically beating LS and Jersey should be the 2. If we do this I think we will have the platform to launch a second half recovery. If we lose those two we will have a mountain (or very steep hill) to climb in the second half of the season. That is unless we beat Ealing, Jersey and the weeds.